News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Texts  (Read 6439 times)

Bhagavannath

Texts
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:26:18 PM »

Adesh Nathpanthis
If you do not already know this site, take a look at www.yogavidya.com
It has translations of important yogic texts, Hathayoapradipika, Gheranda Samhita, Shiva Samhita & others, done by an English scholar of the Nath tradition, James Mallinson.  He has also translated a major text on the Khecari Mudra, which is with a different publisher (& very expensive  - an Indian edition is planned) - I think it is Oxford University Press.
Bhagavannath
Shiv Gorakh

Bhagavannath

Re: Texts
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:10 PM »

Aaah -
I have discovered Indica Books in India has brought out the Indian edition, entitled The Khecarividya of Adinatha. For $18 - not so pricey!
Adesh
Bhagavannath
Shiv Gorakh

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »

Adesh Bhagavannath jee!

However, I have found on the site only three texts no any more. As far as I know about fifty books belong to Gorakshanath.
I have the text about Khechari in electronic form, I sent it to you via e-mail.

Sadhanasearch

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »

Adesh Bhagavannath jee!

However, I have found on the site only three texts no any more. As far as I know about fifty books belong to Gorakshanath.
I have the text about Khechari in electronic form, I sent it to you via e-mail.

Adesh Matsyendranatha Yogi,

I can ask what are the three texts that you have found useful on the site? And what are the main texts attributed to your great Paramguru? And you may also send a copy of the electronic format by email?

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »

Adesh dear Sadhanasearch!

I can ask what are the three texts that you have found useful on the site? And what are the main texts attributed to your great Paramguru? And you may also send a copy of the electronic format by email?

As far as I know, Nathas have a few most important texts, and they relate to different goals. "Siddha Siddhanta Paddhati", for example, illuminates the view of Natha Yogis. Basically this is a philosophical text associated with the representations (Darshana). From the texts on yoga perhaps especially valuable is the "Hatha Yoga Pradipika. This text is of a more applied nature. There are many texts that relate to the requirements of the rituals, such as "Natha Nitya Karma Paddhati". This is a series of texts relating to rites.

Perhaps many of the texts didn't belong to Gorakshanath, but other practitioners of Natha Tradition. I've heard from some sadhus, supposedly "Gorakshanath wrote texts by their hands." On this phenomenon can be viewed in different ways. For scientists this statement is unsatisfactory, but for those Nathas in India it looks fine.

As far as I know, in India everything is built as follows: personal upadesa of Guruin in education comes first and his knowledge, then everything that in texts (in the filing of the Guru), and then the whole tradition. Different Guru can regard importantse of different texts in different way. There are just a collection of texts, which a lot or let's say a set of practices, and they are selected in accordance with the behaviour of student. But this is very different from yoga that is taught in the West( in yoga centers). In India, classically, a student living near the Guru, and Guru sees what is necessary to teach. In Western tradition this approach is less common. There in the field of yoga are many systems, sets of exercises, which hard to find in the classical texts. This is due to different spiritual and social environment in which different practitioners are living.

P.S. Of course I can send a copy, if you write your e-mail to me.

Sadhanasearch

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »

Adesh dear Sadhanasearch!

As far as I know, Nathas have a few most important texts, and they relate to different goals. "Siddha Siddhanta Paddhati", for example, illuminates the view of Natha Yogis. Basically this is a philosophical text associated with the representations (Darshana). From the texts on yoga perhaps especially valuable is the "Hatha Yoga Pradipika. This text is of a more applied nature. There are many texts that relate to the requirements of the rituals, such as "Natha Nitya Karma Paddhati". This is a series of texts relating to rites.

Perhaps many of the texts didn't belong to Gorakshanath, but other practitioners of Natha Tradition. I've heard from some sadhus, supposedly "Gorakshanath wrote texts by their hands." On this phenomenon can be viewed in different ways. For scientists this statement is unsatisfactory, but for those Nathas in India it looks fine.

As far as I know, in India everything is built as follows: personal upadesa of Guruin in education comes first and his knowledge, then everything that in texts (in the filing of the Guru), and then the whole tradition. Different Guru can regard importantse of different texts in different way. There are just a collection of texts, which a lot or let's say a set of practices, and they are selected in accordance with the behaviour of student. But this is very different from yoga that is taught in the West( in yoga centers). In India, classically, a student living near the Guru, and Guru sees what is necessary to teach. In Western tradition this approach is less common. There in the field of yoga are many systems, sets of exercises, which hard to find in the classical texts. This is due to different spiritual and social environment in which different practitioners are living.

P.S. Of course I can send a copy, if you write your e-mail to me.

Adesh Matsyendranatha Yogi,

I have send to you my email fo the electronic book, I want also ask you which type of yoga do the Sadhus? There are Sadhuds that follow the Natha Sampradaya, but others that follow Dattatreya and others ancient Gurus?

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »

There are Sadhuds that follow the Natha Sampradaya, but others that follow Dattatreya and others ancient Gurus?

As far as I know, Dattatreya more revered by another line's sadhus, Naga Baba. He is not in the list of 84 Nathas. But any way, Nathas still have respect to Dattatreya, as one of the most important Indian Gods. Dattatreya have more correlation with tantra. Tantra, in its classic Indian state is a closed system, and even many Hindus say it is not for everyone, be nice to know Sanskrit to understand the complex rituals, amnayas, texts and so on. Tantra is encoded in latent form in many elements of yoga, which taught by Gorakhnath. He specifically outward simplified tantra, so that only on experience level people can get it, not on concept level. Dattatreya is the great God, he was also the great tantric. Nathas, as I mentioned, also have respect to him, but mostly they pay respect to Gorakhnath, Nine Nath, 84 Siddhas.