Nathas Tradition

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hatha Yoga in the Nath Sampradaya  (Read 12713 times)

Matsyendranatha Yogi

Re: Hatha Yoga in the Nath Sampradaya
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »

Yes, Olaf, the books of Bihar Yoga school are quite understandable, they very good expound the hatha yoga subject. Satyananda Saraswati traveled a lot across India and collected a great amount of knowledge from different Gurus.

Olaf

• Tradition: Sivananda - Vishnu Devananda - Sukadev
    • Shiva Yoga Ashram
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:29 PM »

Om Namah Shivaya!

Yes he did! The exercises of Satyananda differ a little bit from what I know. But that's no problem.

The Mudraserie comes from my tradition and is called "Mid Kriyayoga". Previously Surya Namaskara, Asanas, Shavasana, Kapalabhati, Anuloma Viloma and Bhastrika. Then the session lasts about 3 hours.

Om Shanti Olaf
lokāḥ samastāḥ sukhino bhavantu

Olaf

• Tradition: Sivananda - Vishnu Devananda - Sukadev
    • Shiva Yoga Ashram
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 10:53:54 PM »

Om Namah Shivaya,

I wrote about Mid Kriya Yoga. We have different Mudra series. We practice about 2 1/2 - 3 hours for a session. The basis is the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and the teachings of Swami Vishnu Devananda to my teacher.

Either a part of asanas and pranayama or just another part of Pranayama Mudra Bandha. We begin our asana sessions with Surya Namaskara.

Our most important asanas are
Shirshasana ***
Sarvangasana **
Halasana **
Matsyasana **
Paschimotthanasana ***
Bhujangasana ***
Shalabhasana *
Dhanurasana **
Ardha Matsyendrasana ***
Mayurasana **
Pada Hastasana *
Trikonasana *
(*** very important ** important)
We keep asanas very long and make mudras, visualizations, and more in the asana.

I would be interested, such as Hatha Yoga is practiced in the Nath tradition.

Om Shanti Olaf
lokāḥ samastāḥ sukhino bhavantu

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »

Namaskar dear Olaf,

As far as I know, in the Natha texts and in any other ancient hatha yoga treatises, you would not find clear asanas' sequences, as they are presented by Vishnudevananda, Iyengar, Pattabhi Jois and others. There are some  technique's descriptions specifications in the texts on how to execute them in general, but there is no any structure. This is due to the fact that in India, since ancient times and currently in orders of sadhu, Gurus have taught their students individually according to their psycho-physical conditions and life views. For example, people do not always join in order to attain mukti, samadhi, siddhi, etc. places where variety of yoga styles are being taught. Indian sadhakas and sadhus belonging to the Tradition look at yoga differently, that also affects the yoga practice presentation. We practice those asanas that you mentioned. Why should not we practiced them if they are mentioned in the texts of our Tradition?  Most unlikely the Guru would advise a student, who suffers from hypertension to start with shirshasana, mayurasana, etc., but to begin with some other asanas.

Also, along with a regular practice, the sadhaka learns to reside longer in the quietness of mind and gradually reduces the number of physical techniques, narrowing everything down to a single asana. By practicing dhyana he increases exposure duration of this asana. With qualitative dhyana implementation the psychophysics adjusts itself and sustains the physical condition. As written in the yoga texts - "it is important to achieve peace of mind, unmani, absorption into nada", - this is how it goes in the Nath yoga practice. All in all, many contemporary branches have developed additional sub-levels and sometimes they even promote hanging out in these sub-levels. Speaking of Nathas, they promote immediate involvement into the essence of yoga; everybody does it, sometimes perfectly, other times not so perfect.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:19:13 PM by Matsyendranatha Yogi »

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »

Hari Om!
The real Yoga means union with God. All practices are useless if one has not realized union. Hatha Yoga is incomplete without doing Raja Yoga says the every text of Nath Sampradaya.
The disciples follow the teachings of their respective Gurus.
ISKCON could not understand the teachings of Lord Krishna.
Lord Krishna is known as Yogeswar, Lord of Yoga and Lord Shiva Yogeeswar, Lord of all Yogis.
ISKCON creates attachment to Lord Krishna and aversion to all others. Hence they are deprived of the truth.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 08:22:47 AM by Nath Yogi (www.nathyogi.com) »
*** Salutations To The Shoes Of My Guru Siddha Nath ***
               The True Guru's Grace Has No End!

Mumukshu

Re: Hatha Yoga in the Nath Sampradaya Versus Dhyana
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »

Matsyendranath Yogi wrote:

- "Also, along with a regular practice, the sadhaka learns to reside longer in the quietness of mind and gradually reduces the number of physical techniques, narrowing everything down to a single asana. By practicing dhyana he increases exposure duration of this asana".

I'm quite moved , for simply trough readings on spirituality and some meditation, I came once  to the same conclusions as the above ones.
One doesn't need to become a perfect contortionist in order to progress in spirituality...

As for Dhyana OR techniques leading to it, I was advised to practice dharana before an image of my preferred Deity - this is very useful and intelligent, however I still feel the need for practicing other techniques without focusing directly on the Deity...

so Matsyendranath Yogi allow me to ask you: what kind of Dhyana techniques would you suggest, to someone born with a complex character, at once honest and subtle, too emotional but also quite lucid (i'm aware of the contradictions... ::)) with  fragile nerves but also capable of good relaxation?

Withdrawing the senses from external phenomena (Pratyahara) isn't difficult for me (unless one considers smooth breathing or the chakras as part of the external phenomena...)  which might seem another contradiction but it is not: emotional people, when motivated, their emotions become a positive tool.

Siegfried

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 02:16:20 PM »

Hello,

This is an interesting discussion going on and I would recommend reading a very recent interview with James Mallinson which goes in the very detail of many of the topics discussed in this topic.

http://wildyogi.info/en/issue/interview-james-mallinson-sanskrit-and-paragliding

Many thanks !

siegfried

Mumukshu

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »

Namaste Siegfried,

Thank you for the excellent article, I indeed enjoyed the reading.
And I can't avoid a certain satisfaction for it's content confirms my little "amateur" intuitions...!

What Yoga or Sampradaya are you practicing ? If I can ask.

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:32 PM »

Namaste Mumukshu,

What can I suggest, I am planing to write some booklet about Dvadashanta practice. I think that it is a quite profound method and allows to acquire experiences which are described in different yoga texts, for example, experience of "drinking amrta by yogi". However, there are fewer people who know that is it in practice. It is almost impossible to meet practitioners who haven't experienced even a slight experience of purity of consciousness. As it can occur among people who haven't even heard about yoga. It is not surprising, because what yoga reveals for us are natural and innate things. However, the purpose of our path is to learn and remain in this state not fragmentary, but constantly in our body and everyday reality. If I can somehow be useful to you in this matter, then I'm ready to share things according my capabilities.

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 11:07:22 PM »

Namaskar Siegfried,

As for the Jim Mallison, his articles are quite good, although there are enough contention points in my opinion. They are mostly associated with interpretations of Nathas' orienting points. But on the whole, his work is deserving attention.

In this article, he talks about Pashchimamnaya. The fact that I was lucky and got initiation into the Newar Tantrism, it is now the only cult that has preserved Pashchimamnaya orientation. The problem is that this cult is very closed, its followers should not discuss their sadhana with those who is not dikshita. Without practice it is very difficult to understand how these methods look like. Long ago Kubjika cult was developed in the South India, as well as in Assam, unfortunately, as a holistic cult it gradually disappeared there. It was saved only in a hidden form in Nepal.

It probably looked a little bit different than now and really could affect Nathas, but not only it. My Guru-bhai living in India gave me a good example, just as an alchemist prepares alchemical essence by collecting various herbs, similar the Natha Sampradaya collected a variety of elements from different traditions. The result of this synthesis it was formed. I think it is a merit of ascetic cults (shramana) and forms of tantric sannyasa "panchashrami" appeared in the VIII-IX centuries, which used radical methods. This is such cults as Kapalikas, Kaula, etc.Buddhism and Shaktism also could have some influence. If you go further, it is necessary to consider that in these Sampradayas were a lot of sects too. For example, Shrividya is a huge conglomeration of practices, texts and well-known Acharyas.

So, it's an interesting topic that requires very painstaking research. In such studies important extreme honesty, as a result of a huge sacrifice could be the award in the form of accurate knowledge (i.e. truth). I think that sooner or later such knowledge goes beyond dissertations, since this whole ocean is no longer possible to put on paper.

Siegfried

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »

Dear Matsyendranatha Yogi,

Thank you very much for your comments on the article and your always interesting and unique insights !

Dear Mumukshu,

I stick to what Reinhard Gammenthaler is teaching.

Best Regards !

siegfried

Mumukshu

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »

Namaste Matsyendranatha Yogi,

You wrote:

"What can I suggest, I am planing to write some booklet about Dvadashanta practice."-------I'm really eager to acquire that book and heartily grateful to you-the generous straightforwardness of your answers touches me deeply.

"As it can occur among people who haven't even heard about yoga. It is not surprising, because what yoga reveals for us are natural and innate things. " ------Absolutely...

"However, the purpose of our path is to learn and remain in this state not fragmentary, but constantly in our body and everyday reality. " -------Unfortunately  , I know very well what you are saying ...I knew some very beautiful sensations/perceptions through my Kashmir Shaivite practice, but isn't enough...!

"If I can somehow be useful to you in this matter, then I'm ready to share things according my capabilities." -----  On this I sent you a PM, hope you'll read it.

Thank you

Devadasi

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »

Hi, Let me share my Views:

Siddhasana is often considered as the purification pose. It cleanses 72,000 nadis (lines of energy) in our body. It has been referred to as the most distinguished of all yoga positions in the 14th century manual Hatha Yoga Pradipika -

Mumukshu

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:05 PM »

Tanks Dévadasi. I m a bit acquainted with nadis but probably not enough.

Bideway do you know about any preparatory exercises capable of rendering siddhasana  easier to perform?
I sit in the border of a little cushion not too soft and
as a male I usually place my right heel against my groin but I must confess that I have some stretching problems with my left knee, since it doesn't touch the ground.

Siegfried

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »

Hello Mumukshu,

For what flexibility concerns, I think there is only one receipt and that is endless patience. I learnt that one can not force the body. If try doing that, it will or cause damage or the body will take revenge later by actually getting stiffer instead of more flexible. When i started yoga 5 years ago, i could not touch my knees with my hands (legs straight) and i was too stiff to even get down to the floor. Sitting on the floor in whatever position was out of the question. Now after 5 years with 10-12 hours practice per week, I manage to sit in sukhasana (simple crosslegged) for about 1 min. My personal opinion is that if somebody is eager to get flexible to get in all kind of positions, this person better stop with yoga. Yoga is nothing for him/her and it will never work.

If you are interested in preparatory exercises for asana practice, I advise to have a look at what Zhander Remete is teaching with his Shadow Yoga preludes. Those forms are really very good to practice and to prepare for asana practice. I understood you are also living in Belgium. Here there is not such a teacher but there are some very good ones in the Netherlands, France and Germany.

Thanks and Best Regards !

siegfried
Pages: 1 [2] 3