Nathas Tradition

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The 16 adharas  (Read 8395 times)

Siegfried

The 16 adharas
« on: December 29, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »

Hello forum,

I am a practitioner from Belgium and first of all thanks to the makers of this website for making available this forum and providing such valuable information around the Nathas tradition and their founder Gorakhnath !

I have a question about the 16 adharas as described by Gorakhnath in his major work Siddha siddhanta paddhati. In the second chapter of this text he describes those adharas one by one and in the comments of the translation I have, they are seen as "spots". Some are for meditating upon, others seems to be at the origin of the bandhas (such as kanthadhara) and again others are at the origin of certain mudras such as kechari and vajroli.

I wonder what those spots are actually representing. Can they be seen as cakras, are they something similar as marmas or are they something different ?

The concept of adharas are also not explicitly discussed in the more popular hatha yoga texts nor considered in any of the contemporary yoga schools. And that while other concepts such as vayu, nadi, marma etc are all fairly established. Are there any reasons for that ?

Thanks a lot and have all a great New Year !

siegfried

Siegfried

Re: The 16 adharas
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:35:22 AM »

Thanks for the helpful answer !

The translation by Gharote you referring to is exactly the one I have as well. I don't think there are any others available.

In the meantime I found "Philosophy of Gorakhnath" has a few pages dedicated to the subject:

"Having given lessons on the nine Cakras, Gorakhnath indicates the location of the sixteen adharas, and gives some general hints as to how they should be utilized in the practice of yoga. Adhara literally means 'that which holds or contains'. Probably by the enumeration of the adharas, Gorakhnath refers to the principal seats of the vital and psychic functions, which have to be brought under voluntary control and then transcended by means of appropriate methods of yogic discipline. ..."

siegfried

Siegfried

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 11:49:13 PM »

Thanks again for your reply !

I fully agree with you that the sympathic and parasympathic nervous systems play a major role in most of the yogic phenomenon. Somebody such as Reinhard Gammenthaeler is working very much in that direction.

The one you mention, padangustha, is a very good example of this. Ghantikadhara and talvadhara (related to kechari) are probably more far reaching. However I am not up to that level so I do not know what the actual effects of kechari are. Similar for the more far reaching effects when applying bandhas (kanthadhara for jalandhara bandha).

But anyway, one of the greatest merits of Gorakhnath, at least to me, is that he presents us with a framework that is all encompassing, Siva, Sakti and then down to all the mental and body-like phenomenon and in which the lower contains somehow the higher one. That’s why I am a bit hesitant to see the working of adharas as pure nerve system related effects. But as I said, I haven’t actually experienced all those things so whatever opinion I have, it’s merely always an interpretation of somebody else his experience or even just a guess  :)

siegfried

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »

श्री नाथ जी गुरूजी को आदेश
Śrī nātha jī gurūjī kō ādēś

Greetings to all practitioners. In my opinion, chakras, adharas, lakshyas and vyomas are representing a gradual transition from a form to formless. Vyoma is Atma - svarupa, likeness of Atman and of course Atman is over descriptions and forms. Besides yoga, chakras are elements which are popular in tantric sadhanas, while adharas do only in yoga practice. Most of yogic texts said that Hatha yoga is not separate from the Raja - yoga therefore bandhas,mudras, drishti and also technics of pratyahara and dharana are unified system, they are not separated. For example, shambhavi mudra and mahamudra, and viparitakarani are looks very different, shambhavi is used to focus of mind and impact on eyes. However, all of them called mudras.

Adharas are points, which are responsible for the concentration of consciousness and prana during hatha yoga practice.

Regarding padangushtadhara (on big toe), I know that in Tantrism, Indian and Buddhist, many practices were performed with using of this point. There are some technics in which the energy begins to rise from the tips of the toes, and not only from the muladhara chakra. You can see such techniques in Vijnana Bhairava Tantra where it is recommended to meditate on the flames rising from the top of the feet. Furthermore, padangushtha can be used as a hold during maha mudra. I also know that some of the energy channels are particular going to the big toe. I think that adharas is mostly prerogative of hatha-yoga.

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »

You have found the correct information indeed, both Kaulajnyana-nirnaya and Vijyanabhairava-tantra are talking about the same. Kaulajnyana-nirnaya says about samhara-kriya and srishti-kriya, which related to the big toes. Also, in Kaulajnyana-nirnaya 5 vyomas are mentioned. But, many Tantras describe 16 adharas with a few differences, for example, Gautamya Tantra also provides information about the adharas associated with the big toe, knee, hip, etc. In Mahakala Samhita, in Darshanopanishad (part 7) written by Dattatreya, there are also adharas situated in the toes, then knee, hip, etc. Despite the fact that many of them are somewhat similar to those that could be found in Siddha Siddhanta Paddhati, they also have differences. Some texts name they as 'knots' (granthas) and recommend apply them in the practice of concentration, along with various techniques to achieve pratyahara.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:48:05 PM by Matsyendranatha Yogi »

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »

Support oneself on the 16 th Adhara which ends all doubts and ensures ecstasy with full of knowledge and wisdom.
*** Salutations To The Shoes Of My Guru Siddha Nath ***
               The True Guru's Grace Has No End!

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: vyoman
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:30:01 PM »

My comment is meant as a help to Mr. Siegfried based on my experience and wisdom. He does not have any objections.
The rest of your comments are driven by your ego and your mind conditioned by maya. The wise care little at the babbling of ego driven men.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:32:28 PM by Nath Yogi »

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: Vyomaga
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »

Only naked truth is spoken. 
Talking of moving through 10th mansion is meaningless unless one meets Vyomaga (celestial beings).
Dissolving of the mind is only measured by the experience. He is said to be reached the 10th mansion whom celestial beings meet and have discussions with him.

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: The Heart of Truth
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »

10th mansion truth as well as 16th Adhara is spoken if you go through the comments of mine.
Unless one has discussions with them the talking of flying through the mansion is useless.

Mumukshu

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »

Namaste all!

There are not so many  people in this forum ,but the ones that are seem highly competent...in short,i've a lot to learn,here...

as for this post I noted: on one side a very analytical and on another side a more global approach, the latter being -summing up a lot- more or less related to the VB- Vijnana Bhairava.

I do not know a lot about Nath tantrism and all that  details related to the tantric body concept, I just know a little about the VB, and here i take advantage to emphasize, that knowing in me is always synonymous of study+practice. Simple intellectual analysis is less important to me.

However my practice is a very humble one, I decided to restrain myself to anavopaya meditations - the ways of de "individual", anyway according Lilian Silburn's translation...

Om Shiv

P.S. - As  Mr. Siegfried i'm also living in Belgium.

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: Discourse
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 11:04:33 AM »

۞ replied: Therefore discuss nothing with them, by holding your tongue!

Which is good advice for us both...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our reply:
Why don't you say you are afraid to face truths and naked truths. Truth chills your spine.
The wise hold their tongue to drink the nectar that drips from Brahmarandra.
Seek this holding of your tongue from your Guru. Then you can understand truth.

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: To Mumukshu
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 11:16:55 AM »

Hari Om!
If you like you may enjoy the discussions going on in the forum.

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: ādeśa
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »

My Guru is Guru Siddha Nath not as you have mentioned(Guru Prem Nath).
You are welcome.
May God and Guru bless you and all members and visitors of the forum!
Hari Om!

Nath Yogi

• Nath Yogi
Re: Prem
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »

Thanks for letting the Prem be known.

Mumukshu

Re: To Mumukshu
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 08:23:56 PM »

Hari Om!
If you like you may enjoy the discussions going on in the forum.

Hi Nath Yogi,

I'm already enjoying, indeed.
Pages: [1] 2