Nathas Tradition

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Historical personalities and dates (they discrepancies)  (Read 1686 times)

Matsyendranatha Yogi

Historical personalities and dates (they discrepancies)
« on: February 17, 2014, 02:44:34 PM »

Lama Taranatha mentioned that some Buddhist siddha, Yogi Anangavajra, also known as Gorakshanath, had a disciple named Padmavajra Saroruha. Shahidulah, in his works, wrote that he is none other than Padmasambhava himself, who came to Tibet and brought Dzogchen. Shahidulah identifies Saroruha with Padmasambhava, who founded 775 Samye monasteries.

I've heard that Padmavajra Saroruha is identified with Padmasambhava in Nyingma. In general, I think it is needless to say about the magnitude of the Padmasambhava's role in Tibetan Buddhism, for me it sounded a bit sensational. I would like to hear the opinion of Buddhists, as I have not especially studied this subject in regard to the correlation between one Padmasambhava's name and the other.

I looked at different links, there is such a Buddhist text "Sanglingma" discovered by Terton Nyangrel Nyima, who described the biography of Padmasambhava. The story goes that the king Indrabodhi, having gone into realm Udyana, found there a boy in the lotus, that boy had a highest wisdom. Then king took him to his upbringing as the son and  prince, and called him Padmavajra. There is also a Tibetan book "Book of the Great Liberation" where Padmasambhava, who lived on Jalandhara shmashan, called with the name of Padmavajra. So, I think that the identification Padmavajra Saroruha and Padmasambhava is permissible to some extent. However, there are sources which divide these characters. Apparently, it is similar to Nathas: some believe that Minanantha is Matsyendranath, others feel that it is not so and take a view that Minanatha is one of the 84 Nathas, while Matsyendranath is one of the 9 Nathas. Also, they accept that Minanatha was a student of Matsyendranath, sometimes they even say that Minanatha was his son, and the second son was Parsnath. The same goes for Allama Prabhudeva: some believe that this is one character, others that Allamanath was another Yogi, also a disciple of Gorakshanath. This is quite normal for India, when about one Deity various stories exist in different areas.

Most interesting is that many of these Nathas, associated with Buddhism, were described with following dates: Gorakshanath (Anangavajra ) - in the middle of 7th century, Matsyendranath (Minapa) - also mid of 7th century, Krishnacharya (Kanhapa) - 7th century, Jalandhar or Haddipa - a contemporary of Gopichand (nephew of Bhartrihari - 651). Also, according to the Nepalese legends, Gorakshanath was a contemporary of king Narendradeva, so the 6th century. There are many other names of those who were either students of Gorakshanath or Matsyendranath and all dated with 6th-7th age, plus a mention of Gorakshanath in Mahapuranas, that even earlier. Generally speaking, all those facts contradict to the official version that Gorakshanath lived in 12th century.

This question interested me due to the fact that Padmasambhava, in Tibetan Buddhism, is the embodiment of a Guru for all Gurus, although he is probably not most respected in all Buddhist lines. And if he really was a disciple of Gorakshanath, it sounds very cool. If anyone is familiar with Vajrayana, I will be glad to hear your opinions or concerns with solid arguments (which is preferably).

Jaya Shiva Goraksha!