Nathas Tradition

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Khechari-mudra  (Read 8417 times)

Matsyendranatha Yogi

Khechari-mudra
« on: April 25, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »

I've found quite an interesting description of khechari-mudra practice in Goraksha-yoga-manjari.

In addition to descriptions of chala, doha and chedana (these are well-known methods in general), you may also find descriptions of shadanga-nyasa and khechari-mantra in the end. That is, clearly, associated with tantric practice.

Mumukshu

Re: Khechari-mudra
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »

Hi,

Ok now i'm going to do it, i'm going to learn an hindu language ;-) !  The text was written in Sanskrit? Hindi ? Devanagari ?

Perhaps if I search in the web around "chala, doha and chedana" .

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:42:46 PM »

Sorry for the late reply, I am very busy sometimes. The text is written partly in Sanskrit partly in "khichari-bhasha", the latter is sanskritised Hindi, such language Nath sadhus usually use.

Chalana, Dohana and Chedana mean undercut base of the tongue, milking it and stretching in order to get tongue behind the palate. Personally, I like more stretching compared to others. But, the text is interesting because there are also tantric nyasas and mantra for khechari that is not often found in the yogic texts. Nonstandard description of yoga practices, which are more prevalent in other traditions, can be found sometimes in some texts.

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »

I think, the physical techniques such as the cutting base of the tongue, entering a tube in the penis, need only for people who are strongly attached to the material world. The manipulations would need with things that are the great affection, however, for advanced yogis it is not necessary. Advanced yogis understand these processes at the subtle level. Shakti chalani is a Kundalini movement, khechari it is actually the same thing, vajroli and amaroli are the Kundalini rise and the drinking of amrita by it. Same with shambhavi-mudra, it is an upwards movement of Shakti to Shiva, to sahasrara-chakra. Likewise with the asanas, all of them are needed in order to prepare the body, which would be capable to sit in meditation for long time and without tension. If you can sit freely in siddhasana around 3 hours, then you realised what is called asana-vijaya, it is not necessary to think much about this level. At what level one or another person is practicing this or that practice, and what condition is necessary for that - it depends on one's mental and physical condition.

Mumukshu

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »

I see...except the following, that I do not understand completely:

"The manipulations would need with things that are the great affection": can you please develop...?

So in your opinion it is not advisable  to provoke Kundalini ascent by physical manipulations...?

Concerning Dhyana's postures (external asana) Vajrasana is the only one that I can hold out for long...I hope this is not an handicap!

Matsyendranatha Yogi

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 05:48:27 AM »

When practitioner is at a lower and gross level, and attached to the phenomenal existence, than he is more dwelling in pravrtti. He should longer sacrifice himself in the physical world, performs a lot of physical work, which gives him a transformation. Two different activities at sthula and sukshma levels, such as work of a factory worker and a director of a factory, or as different actions during a war performed by a soldier and a general - they are different, although both perform one thing. Same with yoga for sadhus and social men, it is different. We harder work with that we more immerse in. Same thing with mudras: vajroli, khechari, and different body manipulations, such as dhauti, basti. All of these depend on what extent tamasic dominates in one's body. If you follow a pure and estranged lifestyle, not a vacant and dissolute, then you do not have much vicaras in body and mind, and you may pay less attention to rough influence on the body. The body is not just a physical substance, but psychophysical, the state of our consciousness affects it.

The second question, if I understand correctly is "Is it possible to awake Kundalini by physical manipulations? " That's a good question, but the topic is quite wide. In brief, it is possible, if the yoga system is understood as a whole. Kundalini is a manifestation of Maya. There are three Mayas actually, which limit the soul. There is so-called Avarana Shakti, and Yoga Maya, which is illuminating knowledge, the mercy of Goddess (anugraha). There is a third one - Mahamaya, which accommodates the two previous Mayas. To overcome temptation of Avidya Shakti a discipline and limitations are needed, and to stay in Anugraha Shakti a man is required to be open for it to dwell in the nature (Sahaja). But it also can happen automatically, as soon as you step back from the limitations you become open for anugraha and vice versa. So, everything is possible, if you understand it well.